Two scholarships, currently $1500.00 each are offered annually on a competitive basis and are awarded to children of Multiple Birth families attending college.
1. An unmarried offspring who lives at home with their mother. The mother must be a mother of multiples; she must currently reside in New York State and has for the last five years.
2. Applicant must be a high school graduate or equivalent and completed at least one term of post-secondary education. A GPA of 2.50 or higher is required.
3. Attached application must be completed and returned.
4. A complete personal resume is required. It should include all work history, education, plus involvement in any extra curricular activities, clubs, civic or community service.
5. At least two letters of recommendation that state the strengths and character of the applicant. The name, address, and phone number of the person writing the recommendation, as well as, the nature of the relationship and the length of time the applicant is known by said individual must be included..
6. Official sealed copies of ALL academic transcripts from High School, College, or other Accredited Education facilities attended.
7. Applicant must submit a 250-400 word essay. The title must be “How Higher Education Will Affect My Future.” The essay must be typewritten, double-spaced and printed on white paper only.
8. Copies of Birth Certificates for the applicant and the multiple birth children (to verify multiple birth family status).
9. All documents need not be sent at the same time but must be postmarked no later than February 20th. In the lower left hand corner of all envelopes it must be written, “To be opened by the MSS Chairman only.”
1. The Marie Simmons Scholarship Judging Members will review only completed application packets to choose the recipients.
2. The awards will be given on a year-to-year basis. Scholarship recipients may not apply again.
3. Award Certificates will be presented at the Saturday General Meeting of the Annual State Meeting to the recipient or appointed representative.
1. An original official receipt from the college indicating recipient is registered and paid tuition in the current academic year, or the first academic year after the award certificate is presented, is required before the scholarship will be issued.
2. If the scholarship has not been issued and if the awardee is unable to attend college during the first academic year after the award certificate is presented, the Marie Simmons Chairman must be contacted immediately. The award may be put in abeyance for only one academic year.
3. If the recipient chooses to accept the award certificate in person at the Saturday General Meeting of the Annual State Meeting, NYSOMOTC will waive the registration fee for the recipient. If the recipient would like to attend the luncheon, prior to the afternoon session of the State Meeting, the recipient’s lunch will be paid for by the Marie Simmons Scholarship Fund..
The creation of this scholarship is a Free Act of the New York State Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs. The NYSOMOTC retains its rights to alter, suspend, cancel or halt the Marie Simmons Scholarship at any time and without giving reason.